GILGIT: Chief Minister Mehdi Shah has said that situation in Gilgit-Baltistan is worsening due to break down of road network and civic facilities in the region.
“It is beyond the capacity of the Gilgit-Baltistan government to cop with the situation,” the chief minister said while addressing a press conference here on Monday, asking all the segments of society to join hands in meeting this challenge.
He said that he had requested the federal government to provide Rs10 billion for the rehabilitation and compensation of the affected people.
The CM said that the area had been cut off from rest of the country for the last one month as Karakoram Highway (KKH) which was lifeline for the region was totally damaged. Work for its restoration has been started but it will take a considerable time to restore traffic.
Fuel and essential commodities had been running out of stock in the region and the government was supplying it through Kaghan-Naran road.
The chief minister said that the entire government machinery had been mobilised to streamline the relief and rehabilitation activities and to restore electricity and water supply which broke down in the wake of the torrential rains and floods.
He expressed his dissatisfaction over the pace of work on restoration of electricity to the affected areas. An executive engineer along with his staff had been suspended for dereliction.
Government officials’ negligence and dereliction would not be tolerated, he warned. He said that those who were killed would be given Rs500,000 compensation.
Earlier, Secretary Home Asif Bilal Lodhi briefed the media on about the volume of losses. DAWN